Thursday, January 28, 2010

What are Men Compared to Rocks and Mountains?

This is a quote in the ever loved and ever hated (mostly by men) book Pride and Prejudice. I was editing some pictures this morning and happened to run across some from a trip my friends and I took to Zion National Park this summer. It made me think of that quote as I was looking at the pictures from that trip. I have pictures of everything from the tiniest of flower to the majesty of a canyon. God created these huge structures and delicate little flowers for us. Do we really and truly appreciate them? I don't think we do. 

I think especially now, people don't appreciate the country we live in.  From the amber waves of grain to the purple mountain majesty we have one of the most beautiful and peaceful places to live in the entire world.  There is great majesty all over the world, don't get me wrong, but we have all of these rolled into one beautiful place.  All nations of the world are rolling into us, and we are so blessed to be where we are.. here are the pictures that inspired my thoughts.

I also love the part that follows that quote by Elizabeth Bennett, she says...
Mary Bennet: The glories of nature. What are men compared to rocks and mountains?
Elizabeth Bennet: Believe me. Men are either eaten up with arrogance or stupidity. If they are amiable, they are so easily led they have no minds of their own whatsoever.

Even though this quote was meant for the male sex, it is true of most of us now.  Everyone walks around in this world with their false pride and their sense of superiority and arrogance.  Usually if they aren't doing this, they are showing some kind of stupidity. The nice people of the world, follow what others do, and hardly ever do anything for themselves, its sad but true how well her quote turned out to describe us now days. Of course I have to include a picture from Pride and Prejudice, because not everyone is lucky enough to find a love like that Love/Hate relationships going on there. Oh one last thing I love from the movie is below the picture... I guess that is my little school girl romance kicking in there, its just fantastic though, if you haven't seen the movie you should, I even know guys that love it!


Mr. Darcy: How are you this evening, my dear?
Elizabeth Bennet: Very well... although I wish you would not call me "my dear."
Mr. Darcy: [chuckles] Why?
Elizabeth Bennet: Because it's what my father always calls my mother when he's cross about something.
Mr. Darcy: What endearments am I allowed?
Elizabeth Bennet: Well let me think...”Lizzie" for every day, "My Pearl" for Sundays, and...”Goddess Divine"... but only on *very* special occasions.
Mr. Darcy: And... what should I call you when I am cross? Mrs. Darcy...?
Elizabeth Bennet: No! No. You may only call me "Mrs. Darcy"... when you are completely, and perfectly, and incandescently happy.
Mr. Darcy: [he snickers] Then how are you this evening... Mrs. Darcy?
[kisses her on the forehead]
Mr. Darcy: Mrs. Darcy...
[kisses her on the right cheek]
Mr. Darcy: Mrs. Darcy...
[kisses her on the nose]
Mr. Darcy: Mrs. Darcy...
[kisses her on the left cheek]
Mr. Darcy: Mrs. Darcy...
[finally kisses her on the mouth]

No comments: